Are you in the wrong occupation? Probably.
Here are a few of the top reasons you are likely to be in the wrong occupation:
– There are over 10,000 standardized occupations and you have not even considered 9,995 of them
– You would consider it wasting you education to go into another field
– You are not happy in your current occupation, but don’t have an idea of what you would prefer more
– You “fell into” your current occupation when you were younger and never thought about it any further
– You are financially comfortable in your current occupation and afraid to change
In fact, most people will spend more time planning their next vacation than they spend in their entire lifetime planning their career.
So, why not take a moment now and consider five important questions?
1) Do you enjoy the part of your work that is directly related to your occupation?
2) Does your occupation pay at or above what your desire?
3) Are you proud of what you do?
4) Do you feel you are building the kind of career you desire?
5) Is the demand for your occupation growing and the outlook promising?
Your answers to these five questions will tell you a lot about whether you are in the right occupation or not.
If you are part of the majority of people … the ones who are in the wrong occupation … then finding a better one could be just what you need to kick-start your career happiness. As I mention in Chapter 3 of Fast Track Your Job Search (and Career!),
“Experience, education, certifications, or other historical realities can be potential barriers to your entry into new professions and industries. In most instances, however, they are not absolute barriers.”
You don’t have to stay stuck in an unfulfilling occupation. Choosing an occupation that matches well with your unique needs and desires will pay off in the long run. I encourage you to do more exploration.